Magazine Concept
uznari
2013-03-09 22:19:43 UTC
Hi all!

IŽm carrying out a viability study in the UK for a university projec
and would love to get some feedback from you.

ThereŽs a buzz about collecting in the UK – it seems that itŽs becom
cool and fashionable to collect among a younger demographic.

1. Would you agree?

2. What are your thoughts on the idea of a biannual unisex magazin
about collectors and their collections targeted at a young audience
(Approx.: 25-40 years old). The publication would have a modern desig
concept and present the stories and lifestyles of the collectors as wel
as their amazing collections.

3. Do you think this sounds like a feasible concept?

Thank you for your support, I really appreciate you help

Best regards,

Mari

uznari
Svend Waever
2013-03-10 06:55:50 UTC
Post by uznari
Hi all!
I´m carrying out a viability study in the UK for a university project
and would love to get some feedback from you.
There´s a buzz about collecting in the UK – it seems that it´s become
cool and fashionable to collect among a younger demographic.
1. Would you agree?
2. What are your thoughts on the idea of a biannual unisex magazine
about collectors and their collections targeted at a young audience?
(Approx.: 25-40 years old). The publication would have a modern design
concept and present the stories and lifestyles of the collectors as well
as their amazing collections.
3. Do you think this sounds like a feasible concept?
Thank you for your support, I really appreciate you help
Best regards,
Maria
Hi Maria
Thank you for raising this issue in this group and of course it is too
tempting a question to ignore it.

My personal view is that the western philatelic world is definitely
loosing ground among younger people and the general decline of postal
services and the quality of stamp production reinforces this trend
although these developments are not interconnected. A major reason for
these developments is the widespread use of internet and IT - for
enjoyment as well as for communication. The role of the stamp as a
receipt for eventual services rendered is in decline. In many places
this decline is disguised by the fact that postage stamps are still
produced in masses but not for postal purposes but in order to satisfy
demand of especially young collectors in the third world and at the
same time provide money for state coffers.

Let me now put on my positive contact lenses, because of course there
is a bright side to this as well. Stamps issued since the very first
postage stamp was issued in the UK in 1841 are of course still in
existance in masses. Bilions and billions are out there. Most of these
stamps were used for postal purposes although a considerable amount
were not because they were sold mint or prestamped to collectors and
never used for postal purposes. Whether all of them collectable or not
they are still out there and thanks to the internet it has become easy
to find them. What was still possible in year 1900 - collecting the
whole world - has now again become possible, if one can afford it. One
can actually easily find them, but …. in a not too distant future they
will have to be classified as antiques and not as a living thing in
daily life and communication.

Now back to your questions. I for one think your ideas represent a
feasible concept PROVIDED you adopt a postal history angle or a
thematic angle. Since the stamp is about to loose its original natural
role you would have to concentrate your efforts on these two approaches
to stamp collecting. No doubt about it. If you dig down into the
philatelic literature you will find masses of stuff for your potential
magazine. It is all out there. Your primary role will be to make what
is already there interesting to younger people.

Have a look at this magnificent site:
http://www.philatelicdatabase.com/ … I also in all modesty try to
contribute myself:
http://philatelyoftoday.blogspot.se/2009/04/yes-i-collect-stamps-i-am-philatelist.html

Good luck. Svend
Victor Manta
2013-03-13 13:34:46 UTC
Post by uznari
I´m carrying out a viability study in the UK for a university project
and would love to get some feedback from you.
There´s a buzz about collecting in the UK - it seems that it´s become
cool and fashionable to collect among a younger demographic.
1. Would you agree?
I doubt that the interest for stamp collecting in UK increased among youth.
Post by uznari
2. What are your thoughts on the idea of a biannual unisex magazine
about collectors and their collections targeted at a young audience?
(Approx.: 25-40 years old). The publication would have a modern design
concept and present the stories and lifestyles of the collectors as well
as their amazing collections.
AFAIK, the stamp collectors are interested in their own hobby, and they find
it annoying to search for a small number of philatelic article among to many
that are unrelated.
Post by uznari
3. Do you think this sounds like a feasible concept?
I doubt, but maybe the young collectors think differently.
--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/