France Scott 304 with unusual cancel
b***@gmail.com
2013-12-06 21:04:44 UTC
Can anyone help me give some information on the cancel shown at:

http://cjoint.com/?0Lgv6E6hODd

A correspondent has asked me about the significance of the cancel and I don't recognize it, nor do I find anything about it on Guy Maggay's site nor in my literature. (My interest in French cancels dwindles after 1900, so my reference works become less useful for such questions.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stan Fairchild
Pierre COURTIADE
2013-12-07 11:53:28 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
http://cjoint.com/?0Lgv6E6hODd
A correspondent has asked me about the significance of the cancel and
I don't recognize it, nor do I find anything about it on Guy Maggay's
site nor in my literature. (My interest in French cancels dwindles
after 1900, so my reference works become less useful for such
questions.)
Thanks in advance for any help.
Stan Fairchild
Hello Stan,

With the help of the French speaking news group
here is the explanation.

This is a Belgian cancel (named Diamond cancel) used here on
a French stamp as - by mistake - the stamp had not been canceled.

See some examples here :
http://www.blog-philatelie.com/2009/09/obliteration-diamant-en-belgique.html
http://histoire-postale.blogspot.fr/2011/12/166-diamant-belge.html
--