Unusual GB Advertising Pseudo-Stamp
tony
2003-12-02 15:24:38 UTC
I received an unusual item in the post today. An imitation
adhesive stamp, the same size as most UK commemorative issues
but without any inscription, is 'postmarked' NOVEMBER PAID
and POSTAGE PAID ROYAL MAIL POSTAGE PAID
around a large 2 and PHQ 1297

The contents were advertising material (for a sofa, I think).

The stamp and mark are illustrated on
if you are interested.
--
Tony Clayton ***@pem.cam.ac.uk or ***@tclayton.demon.co.uk
Coins of the UK : http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/coins.html
... 'E's an 'alibut.
Rodney
2003-12-02 22:34:17 UTC
I am interested , however.........

Not Found !
The requested document or URL could not be found on this server.
These are possible reasons that you received the error message:

--
***@touch88gum.com.au
(Remove gum to reply)

Derek Reed
2003-12-03 02:11:16 UTC
From the DFS furniture group. Yellowish starfish sort of thing?...

Got a few, and think they're self-adhesive stickies for franking machine people who want to make it look like it's been stamped.
--
Derek Reed (Doesn't like spam ;o) :: ::
http://www.DerekReed.co.uk : (Contact Form on Website)

8< - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - >8

if you are interested.
tony
2003-12-03 06:27:16 UTC
Post by tony
I received an unusual item in the post today. An imitation
adhesive stamp, the same size as most UK commemorative issues
but without any inscription, is 'postmarked' NOVEMBER PAID
and POSTAGE PAID ROYAL MAIL POSTAGE PAID
around a large 2 and PHQ 1297
The contents were advertising material (for a sofa, I think).
The stamp and mark are illustrated on
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/pics/phil/adv.jpg
if you are interested.
Sorry about that. I forgot to upload the picture.

It now works, but try:

which is a smaller file.
... Get 'em by the balls and their hearts and minds will follow.
Dave
2003-12-06 06:11:29 UTC
We see the similar sort of thing on mail here in the US from
advertisers. So long as there is a postal permit and the postage is paid I
doubt the post office doesn't care what they put on the envelope short of an
actual stamp design.
Dave
Post by tony
Post by tony
I received an unusual item in the post today. An imitation
adhesive stamp, the same size as most UK commemorative issues
but without any inscription, is 'postmarked' NOVEMBER PAID
and POSTAGE PAID ROYAL MAIL POSTAGE PAID
around a large 2 and PHQ 1297
The contents were advertising material (for a sofa, I think).
The stamp and mark are illustrated on
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/pics/phil/adv.jpg
if you are interested.
Sorry about that. I forgot to upload the picture.
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/pics/phil/adv2.jpg
which is a smaller file.
TC
2003-12-08 10:12:18 UTC
Bob Harper
2003-12-08 23:46:07 UTC
Research here in the U.K. discovered that junk mail is less likely to be
thrown in the garbage unread if the item bore a 'real' stamp.
I have seen two or three of these false stamps used together with Royal Mail
bulk posting permits - a number were from a large furniture retailer.
They got my attention - I kept the 'stamps' in my Cinderella book. The
contents still went in the garbage.
Bob
Rodney
2003-12-09 01:44:02 UTC
In my other life as a Realtor,
The expected return for Junk Mail was 1 reply per 1000
I never supported the concept
but it did work, esp if "FREE" was enblazoned somewhere
on the cover.